The Heart • The Soul • The Heroes
Our happy pack (also lovingly referred to as our “husky heroes”) represents over 30 years of ethical sled dog care, selective breeding and raising exceptional touring sled dogs. Our unique pack is a blend of 7 different sled dog breeds:
- The Seppala Siberian Sled Dog – the original performance Siberian husky imported from Russia.
- The Siberian Husky – the mainstream Siberian husky bred for looks and performance
- The Canadian Indian Husky – bred by the southern First Nations people to service their trap lines.
- The Canadian Inuit Husky – the original sled dog breed bred by the Inuit people in the far arctic.
- The Alaskan Malamute – bred by the “Mahlemiut” an Inuit tribe that settled in Alaska.
- The Alaskan Husky – A mixed breed often with a foundation of two different pure-bred breeds such as The Canadian Indian husky and Siberian husky.
- The Alaskan Racing Husky – the most popular among mushers. A mixed breed commonly used in races like the Iditarod and Yukon Quest. Racing sled dogs are a blend of Siberian Husky mixed with Greyhound, German Short Haired Pointer and/or Saluki.
While most of the Snowy Owl pack are born and raised in our kennel by our family, we have purchased, rescued and adopt many dogs from other sled dog kennels. As much as we love to assist in adopting and rescuing when we can, we do prefer to breed our own dogs. Since every dog born in our kennel can have their lineage traced back to the start of our company in 1983, we can select our soundest bloodlines for breeding. Moreover, we maintain excellent medical/veterinary records so we can closely monitor each dog’s health and whether there are any concerning hereditary traits being passed on through breeding – this would not be possible when excepting dogs who have been offloaded from other sled dog kennels.
We use more of the traditional sled dog breeds – a rarity in a sport predominantly using Alaskan Racing Huskies. These long-established sled dog breeds are genetically the closest derived breed to wolves; therefore, they have experienced very little altering in terms of being mixed with other breeds throughout history. Our selective breeding combined with our use of the authentic sled dog breeds results in significantly less health issues.
WE BREED FOR…
- Disposition: Our sled dogs are personable, friendly and affectionate. These traits are important in touring sled dogs since they are meeting hundreds of people from all over the world each day. It is crucial that our pack not only loves to run and pull but also enjoys the interaction from our guests.
- Health: We breed our most sound sled dogs which means excellent eating habits, ability to maintain weight well and minimal to no health issues
- Genetics: Resilient and thick coats, endurance, tough feet, vitality and the desire to run and pull – these are natural and primitive genetic traits maintained by traditional sled dog breeds and are all essential to any sled dog in order to perform comfortably and safely.