Our happy pack (also lovingly referred to as our "husky heroes") represents over 30 years of ethical sled dog care, selective breeding and raising exceptional touring sled dogs. We breed for disposition, health, strength, tough feet, resilient coats, vitality and most of all the desire to run and pull. Most of the sled dogs at Snowy Owl are born and raised by our family however, some of our pack are rescued sled dogs or have been purchased from other sled dog kennels to add diversity to our breeding program.
Our unique pack is a blend of 7 different sled dog breeds:
• The Seppala Siberian Sled Dog - the original Siberian husky imported from Russia.
• The Siberian Husky - the mainstream Siberian and most commonly seen in mushing films.
• The Canadian Indian Husky - bred by the southern First Nations people to service their trap lines.
• The Canadian Inuit Husky - the original sled dog breed bred by the Inuit people in the far arctic.
• The Alaskan Malamute - bred by the "Mahlemiut" an Inuit tribe that settled in Alaska.
• The Alaskan Husky - A mixed breed often with a foundation of two different pure bred breeds like The Canadian Indian husky and Siberian husky.
• The Alaskan Racing Husky - the most popular among mushers. A mixed breed commonly used in races like the Iditarod and Yukon Quest. Racing sled dogs are a blend of Siberian Husky mixed with Greyhound, German Short Haired Pointer and/or Saluki.
The Legendary Snowy Owl Pack
The Heart • The Soul • The Heroes